Where is Mission San Juan Capistrano?
The ruins of a large stone church give the seventh California Mission a mysterious and romantic atmosphere and form the center of the quiet town of San Juan Capistrano.
This Mission was also called the jewel among the missions. It was founded in 1775 by Padre Junípero Serra. The entrance courtyard of the Mission is dominated by the ruins of the large stone church, which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812. The 20 m high roof was decorated with seven domes and a bell tower, whose Bell could still be heard at a distance of 16 km.
The four original bells now hang in a low wall next to the ruin. In the West Wing of the middle courtyard are exhibits on the history of San Juan Capistrano. In the East wing of the original chapel from the year 1776 is located. The Baroque altarpieces from the 17th century. Century. come from Barcelona and were brought here in 1924.
Located in: Mission Basilica School
Address: 26801 Ortega Hwy, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Returned to the Church: 1865
Founding Order: Seventh
Where is San Juan Capistrano located and why?
What mission number is San Juan Capistrano?
What is Mission San Juan Capistrano known for?
What are the 21 missions in order?
Is San Juan Capistrano safe?
What does Capistrano mean?
What Native American tribe lived in San Juan Capistrano?
Can you get married at Mission San Juan Capistrano?