Where is Ramla Located?
Located 21 km east of Tel Aviv, Ramla is the first settlement founded on Sand by Muslim conquerors in the 7th century. This city was formerly conquered by Crusaders and Richard the Lionheart, who established his headquarters there, and this city was also visited by Bonaparte. Today Ramla is inhabited by Jews and Arabs who live here peacefully together. The former Romanesque cathedral of the Crusaders was converted into a mosque in 1268. Also worth seeing: the Souk near the Great Mosque. The White Tower, an 8th – century minaret tower that belonged to a now destroyed mosque, has become a symbol and symbol of Ramla. See the cisterns of Saint Helena. Here you can board a boat through the interior of these huge underground reservoirs, which date back to 789.
What Country is Ramla in?
But first, a little about the history of the city. Ramla, also Ramle, is of Arabic origin and means Sand, because the city was once built on sand hills. Ramla is located 17 kilometers southeast of Tel-Aviv on the road to Jerusalem and was already built in the 8th century. It is the only city built by Arabs in today’s Israel and still looks Oriental today. The city had its economic importance in the middle ages thanks to its location at the intersection of the two main streets of Palestine. The end of the 11. At the end of the 13th century, after the First Crusade, Ramla became the seat of a Seigneurie of the kingdom of Jerusalem. Between 1101 and 1105, in the three battles of Ramla, the Crusaders repelled several attempts to recapture the Egyptian Fatimids. During the reign of the Crusaders, a large Parish Church, St. John’s basilica, was built. Since 1266, the former parish church has been used as a mosque – and still is today. It is considered one of the main attractions of the city.