Lorsch Abbey Located
The monastery of Lorsch (St. Nazarius) was a Benedictine Abbey in Lorsch at the Bergstrasse (Hesse) in Germany. It was founded in 764 and was a centre of power, spirit and culture until the Middle Ages. In 1232 the Abbey came to Kurmainz and was a Premonstratensian Propstei from 1248. In 1461 it was pledged to the Kurpfalz, which the monastery lifted in 1564.
Important surviving evidence of the Lorsch Codex (Codex Laureshamensis), a comprehensive freight directory, the Lorsch Gospels (Codex Aureus Laureshamensis), but also the Lorsch bee blessing, the former library, and the gatehouse of the monastery, also king’s hall is called, is one of the few fully preserved monuments from the time of the Carolingians.
The monastery of Lorsch (Abbey and Altenmünster) has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991, and it is also a protected cultural heritage according to The Hague Convention. The Lorsch Pharmacopoeia from the end of the 8th century was declared a UNESCO World document heritage site in Germany in 2013. From the old man’s Münster, the ancestral Monastery of Lorsch, there is no more leftover day after day.
Historical Name Forms
Documented the following names are assigned: in the 9. Century Lorishaim, in the 9. and 11. Century Loresham, in the 9. or 10. Century Laurishaim, in 10. Century Laresham, in 10. to 12. Century Lareshaeim and Lauresheim, in 11. and 12. Century Lauresham, in 11. Century, Larsem, and Loraszam and Lorozam and Lorisham, in 12. Century Laurisca and Laurisham and Laureshan and Loressam and Lorisheym and Lorscheim and Lors.
Address: Nibelungenstraße, 64653 Lorsch, Germany
Opened: 764 AD
Phone: +49 6251 869200