Where is Gafsa Located
Gafsa (Roman: Capsa – Arabic: Qafsah) is a Tunisian town with about 84, 000 inhabitants. It is located in central Tunisia north of the Salt Lake Chott el Djerid at an average altitude of 297 m. Gafsa is a transport hub between the North and south of the country. In the 2nd century BC, the Romans founded the town of Capsa, today Gafsa. The city developed first to the Municipale, then to the colony. In 540 the Byzantines protect them by building a wall and called it Justiniana for a short time.
What Country is Gafsa in?
Oqba Ibn Nafi conquered the city in 688, but met with a strong resistance, because the Berber refused to convert to Islam for a long time. In the 12th century Gafsa was still spoken in Latin. In 1551, the town was besieged by the privateer Dragut on behalf of Barberousse Kheireddine and had to surrender in 1556. During the Second World War, the city was bombed several times by German aircraft in 1942 and 1943, and part of the Kasbah was destroyed. Meanwhile, all damage has been eliminated and the Kasbah shines again in its old splendour.