In the early 18th century, the Land between British South Carolina and Spanish Florida was disputed territory. This country – today’s Georgia – was in the midst of the centuries-old Conflict between Spain and England.
Fort Frederica was built in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern border of his new Georgia colony. Settlers from England, Scotland and the German Empire came to Frederica to support this enterprise. The Spanish attempt to regain control of St. Simons Island failed. Later, the garrison was withdrawn from Fort Frederica and the city fell into disrepair. Today, parts of the fort are archeologically secured.
Address: 6515 Frederica Rd, St Simons, GA 31522
Established: May 26, 1936
Year built: 1736
Phone: (912) 638-3639
What was the original purpose for Fort Frederica?
What was the importance of the Battle of Bloody Marsh?
Are dogs allowed at Fort Frederica?
When was Jekyll founded?
Who was Saint Simons Island named after?